Posted to alt.home.repair
dj dj is offline

Default Big hole in the ceiling

I have a big hole in the ceiling of my living room caused by a leaky roof. I
think we have fixed the leak and want to do at least an "average" job of
fixing it myself.
If the leak is actually fixed, I do it right. At this point, I don't know
where to start, besides knocking down all the loose plaster. Please remember,
this house was built in 1922,
and frankly, I don't even know what the "cement like" surface is in the
middle. This is the ceiling between my first and second floors. Do I just use
spackle? patching plaster" or what
to start with.
https://www.homeownershub.com/img/m2

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/8/2020 10:14 AM, dj wrote:
I have a big hole in the ceiling of my living room caused by a leaky
roof. I
think we have fixed the leak and want to do at least an "average" job of
fixing it myself.
If the leak is actually fixed, I do it right. At this point, I don't know
where to start, besides knocking down all the loose plaster. Please
remember,
this house was built in 1922,
and frankly, I don't even know what the "cement like" surface is in the
middle. This is the ceiling between my first and second floors. Do I
just use
spackle? patching plaster" or what
to start with.
https://www.homeownershub.com/img/m2

Â* Peel all the loose plaster from the cement like surface , then spray
the substrate with a 50/50 mixture of Titebond II and water to bind the
surface . When that's dried a couple of days trowel on a layer of either
premixed drywall mud or (preferred) use a dry mix quick setting drywall
compound - 90 minute probably if you have no experience . Build the area
up flush with the rest of the plaster one THIN layer at a time .

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/8/20 11:17 AM, Terry Coombs wrote:
On 4/8/2020 10:14 AM, dj wrote:
[...]

Excellent advice.

I had to do some plaster-work when I first moved in my house 40 h=years
ago. I had zero experience and doggone it, it has held up just fine all
these years.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 8 Apr 2020 15:14:01 +0000, dj
m wrote:

I have a big hole in the ceiling of my living room caused by a leaky roof. I
think we have fixed the leak and want to do at least an "average" job of
fixing it myself.
If the leak is actually fixed, I do it right. At this point, I don't know
where to start, besides knocking down all the loose plaster. Please remember,
this house was built in 1922,
and frankly, I don't even know what the "cement like" surface is in the
middle. This is the ceiling between my first and second floors. Do I just use
spackle? patching plaster" or what
to start with.
https://www.homeownershub.com/img/m2

It's a nasty job. You have lathe and plaster. Either wood lath or
expanded metal you need to cut it back to the joist on both sides and
to solid plaster at each end, then fasten blocking to the side of the
joist to fasten new drywall to - 12/2 or 5/8 inch from the plaster
surface depending what drywall you want to use for the patch. You will
also want to install blocking between the joists at the same hight to
keep the drywall from sagging/bowing. When the drywall is in you will
need to fill the gaps with a SETTING type drywall compound which fries
rock hard - making sure to level it with a dampsponge before it dries.
It is REALLY HARD to sand. Then finish with normal drywall compound or
a mix of PolyFilla and plaster of paris - I like to skim coat the
drywall with this mixture as it mimics the texture of the existing
plaster (instead of the "paper finish" on drywall) and sands
relatively easily and doesn't soften whenyou wet it if you paint with
latex. If you patch with regular drywall "mud" you pretty much need to
seal it with a non-water-based primer before painting for best results
Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Wed, 8 Apr 2020 15:14:01 +0000, dj
m wrote:

I have a big hole in the ceiling of my living room caused by a leaky roof. I
think we have fixed the leak and want to do at least an "average" job of
fixing it myself.
If the leak is actually fixed, I do it right. At this point, I don't know
where to start, besides knocking down all the loose plaster. Please remember,
this house was built in 1922,
and frankly, I don't even know what the "cement like" surface is in the
middle. This is the ceiling between my first and second floors. Do I just use
spackle? patching plaster" or what
to start with.
https://www.homeownershub.com/img/m2

I thought it would look a lot worse. All but the bottom layer or so
are paint, I think, but the paint layers are thin. You can follow
Terry's advice and get the plaster up to level of the next to last paint
layer, or even even with it. Do you expect to paint too?

Bear in mind I've never done this!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/8/2020 12:17 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
On 4/8/2020 10:14 AM, dj wrote:
[...]

Exactly how I would approach.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/8/2020 10:14 AM, dj wrote:
[...]

That works if the base plaster has not all gotten soggy and fallen
out. I had to do it "my" way when a roughly 15 square inch "hole"
turned into over 96 square feet of soft soggy gyp-roc lath spanning
from the kitchen to the dining room in friend's house last year.
Instead of blocking to hight we installed 2 layers of drywall - one
screwed every 8 inches and the other glued and screwed every 18 inches
staggering the joints. The 2 layers were chosen to match the thickness
of the old plaster - 5/8" screwed on and 1/2 inch glued over top.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/8/2020 10:14 AM, dj wrote:
I have a big hole in the ceiling of my living room caused by a leaky
roof. I
think we have fixed the leak and want to do at least an "average"
job of
fixing it myself.
If the leak is actually fixed, I do it right. At this point, I don't
know
where to start, besides knocking down all the loose plaster. Please
remember,
this house was built in 1922,
and frankly, I don't even know what the "cement like" surface is in the
middle. This is the ceiling between my first and second floors. Do I
just use
spackle? patching plaster" or what
to start with.
https://www.homeownershub.com/img/m2

Â*Â* Peel all the loose plaster from the cement like surface , then
spray the substrate with a 50/50 mixture of Titebond II and water to
bind the surface . When that's dried a couple of days trowel on a
layer of either premixed drywall mud or (preferred) use a dry mix
quick setting drywall compound - 90 minute probably if you have no
experience . Build the area up flush with the rest of the plaster one
THIN layer at a time .

Exactly how I would approach.

Â* I ran a home repair business that for many years focused on resto and
repair work in Midtown Memphis . Most of those houses were built in the
same era as the OP's house and had many of the same problems ...

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/8/2020 10:14 AM, dj wrote:
[...]

We had our own side business for a few years ... husband did sheet rock,
I did mud work, he did the belt sander and I did the finish work. He
also would do the large scale painting, and I did the trim work with oil
base paint. Oh, I also did wall paper, too, but that's not really in
vogue any more.

--
Maggie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/8/2020 10:14 AM, dj wrote:
[...]

People like you and your husband built America. God bless you both!

Posted to alt.home.repair

m wrote:

I have a big hole in the ceiling of my living room caused by a leaky roof. I
think we have fixed the leak and want to do at least an "average" job of
fixing it myself.
If the leak is actually fixed, I do it right. At this point, I don't know
where to start, besides knocking down all the loose plaster. Please remember,
this house was built in 1922,
and frankly, I don't even know what the "cement like" surface is in the
middle. This is the ceiling between my first and second floors. Do I just use
spackle? patching plaster" or what
to start with.
https://www.homeownershub.com/img/m2

If you have never done anything like this before and you want it to
look good, hire someone. If having a spot that you will be looking at
for years wondering what went wrong, go for it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/8/2020 10:14 AM, dj wrote:
[...]

When there is a drip through the ceiling, it probably pays to punch a
hole where the drip is so that all t he water comes straigtht through,
instead of puddling up there. and soaking the plaster or sheetrock.

You can tell it's been puddling, sitting, and soaking because a whole
bunch of water, much more than the drip, runs through the hole, or falls
down when the plaster falls down.

Don't ask me how I know this.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/8/2020 10:14 AM, dj wrote:
I have a big hole in the ceiling of my living room caused by a leaky
roof. I
think we have fixed the leak and want to do at least an "average"
job of
fixing it myself.
If the leak is actually fixed, I do it right. At this point, I don't
know
where to start, besides knocking down all the loose plaster. Please
remember,
this house was built in 1922,
and frankly, I don't even know what the "cement like" surface is
in the
middle. This is the ceiling between my first and second floors. Do I
just use
spackle? patching plaster" or what
to start with.
https://www.homeownershub.com/img/m2

Â*Â*Â* Peel all the loose plaster from the cement like surface , then
spray the substrate with a 50/50 mixture of Titebond II and water to
bind the surface . When that's dried a couple of days trowel on a
layer of either premixed drywall mud or (preferred) use a dry mix
quick setting drywall compound - 90 minute probably if you have no
experience . Build the area up flush with the rest of the plaster one
THIN layer at a time .

Exactly how I would approach.
Â*Â* I ran a home repair business that for many years focused on resto and
repair work in Midtown Memphis . Most of those houses were built in the
same era as the OP's house and had many of the same problems ...

We had our own side business for a few years ... husband did sheet rock,
I did mud work, he did the belt sander and I did the finish work.Â* He
also would do the large scale painting, and I did the trim work with oil
base paint.Â* Oh, I also did wall paper, too, but that's not really in
vogue any more.

People like you and your husband built America. God bless you both!

Thanks!

--
Maggie