Posted to uk.d-i-y
John John is offline

Default Boiler Choice

On Wednesday, 25 March 2020 14:56:53 UTC, David wrote:
On Wednesday, 25 March 2020 11:22:01 UTC, mm0fmf wrote:
On 25/03/2020 10:10, David wrote:
On Tuesday, 24 March 2020 21:16:22 UTC, newshound wrote:

Worcester and Vaillant generally regarded as best for reliability.

In the same way that VW cars are generaly regarded as being reliable. That's the power of marketing.

But VW (VAG) cars aren't regarded as reliable. And it's years and years
since "if only everything in life was as reliable as a Volkswagen" or
"very tough as old boots" were marketing phrases.

Certainly wont be as bad as the Ferrolli that was in my son's house.

It's difficult to buy a truly bad new car these days, just as it's difficult to buy a truly bad boiler. Pretty much all cars and pretty much all boilers are fine.

I think most people do regard VW cars as reliable, which is fair enough because they are. I think they're no more reliable than an average car though.

The same is true for WB boilers. They're OK, the widely-published adverts say how great they are, and they are backed by a huge fleet of service and repair technicians

For someone who wants a boiler that is above average reliability, due to its inherent design, an InterGas is the one to go for. See a current thread here, for example: https://www.diynot.com/diy/threads/n...choice.541487/ UK-built, too. But you won't see many InterGas repair vans driving around, and their marketing budget can't approach the size of Worcester Bosch's...

Intergas are Dutch, not made in the UK. They were expanding, not able make enough boilers for the demand, needing larger facilities. Why they are smallish in the UK. They are not pushed relying on reputation. They have had fitted around 100,000 boilers in the UK, including initially being rebadged as the Atmos. They have just been taken over by American HVAC giant Rheem, who in turn are owned by Paloma of Japan. Expect marketing money to come when production increases. They aim to hit the increasing US and Canadian market.