Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tim Lamb[_2_] Tim Lamb[_2_] is offline

Default Knot Question

In message , T i m
writes
On Sun, 5 Apr 2020 15:18:47 +0100, Tim Lamb
wrote:

In message , T i m
writes
Snip
The truckers hitch lets you get a lot more
tension on the rope and is much easier to adjust over time too.

A truckers hitch offers no more tension that a looped rope an would
offer less if the single part of the rope was on it's strength limits
(compared with two parts).

er.. I think he is correct!

No, he's knot mate. ;-)

I never learned to do them but my father was an adept.

As am I.

You gain more mechanical advantage by doubling the final loop.

Not compared with a double loop in the first place you can't (as I
suggested and he was countering)?

Potentially x2 but some extra frictional losses.

There are more frictional looses with my loop (round both trees as the
tension in both parts try to even out) but more strength / capability
in the bond because it has two parts over the entire path (for the
same spec rope etc). That means you could apply twice the tension
between the trees with two parts than one. ;-)

So he was saying a single line tied to the tree one and with his loop
at the other with a truckers hitch in one loop (where that bit is two
parts) offers greater mechanical advantage than when the rope itself
is passed round both trees and the same tension is applied in one (of
the two) parts (as with the truckers hitch)?

He is incorrect (as usual). ;-)

Have it your way:-) All I am saying is that the *Hauliers Hitch*
(Hertfordshire usage) can have a mechanical advantage beyond your
double loop by using more than one loop to make the final connection.

--
Tim Lamb