Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default Knot Question

On Sun, 5 Apr 2020 09:31:43 +1000, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

"T i m" wrote in message
.. .
On Sat, 4 Apr 2020 21:38:37 +0100 (GMT+01:00), thescullster
wrote:

Hi all

I am trying to encourage an apple tree in a certain direction by
gradually pulling it over.
There is a copper beach tree nearby to act as the anchor for the
rope tie.

What I need is a knot that can take up slack as I pull hard to
bend the tree.
Anyone understand what I am trying to achieve and suggest the
appropriate knot please?

I would have thought you just want to tie into a loop
of some sort and then do a half hitch to lock it off?

You'd be wrong.

And you are a ****. Seriously Rod, aren't there any Auz based forums
you could hit with your peanut gallery comments, or do you do that as
well? ;-(

Not that it will have any bearing on you because you are such a left
brainers but I have spent much of my life in boats, surrounded by
sheets, painters, mooring lines (head (painter)/ breast / aft springs)
and halyards and when daughter was doing Tree Surgery, used all sorts
of ropes (for climbing and pulling), winches and straps, helping her
on the bigger jobs.

OOI, Did you ever live in the UK or have ever been here?

The truckers hitch lets you get a lot more
tension on the rope and is much easier to adjust over time too.

A truckers hitch offers no more tension that a looped rope an would
offer less if the single part of the rope was on it's strength limits
(compared with two parts).

Cheers, T i m