Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tim Lamb[_2_] Tim Lamb[_2_] is offline

Default Knot Question

In message , thescullster
writes
T i m Wrote in message:
On Sat, 04 Apr 2020 22:07:13 +0100, Chris Hogg
wrote:On Sat, 4 Apr 2020 21:38:37 +0100 (GMT+01:00),
wrote:Hi allI am
trying to encourage an apple tree in a certain direction by
gradually pulling it over.There is a copper beach tree nearby to act
as the anchor for the rope tie.What I need is a knot that can
take up slack as I pull hard to bend the tree.Anyone understand
what I am trying to achieve and suggest the appropriate knot
please?ThanksPhilNot sure I see exactly what you're looking
for, but look at these - Garda hitch (needs karabiners but you may
be able to improvise)https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Garda_hitch or
Trucker's hitch https://www.animatedknots.com/truckers-hitch-knot
?Whilst that would work and we don't know the whole story (size
oftrees, amount of tension required / acceptable, distance between
thetrees) I was thinking two parts between the tree would likely
offermore capacity in the rope?If the distance between the trees was
sufficient I wonder if a weightof some sort tied midway between the
trees would act as an automatictensioner? Old car tyre laid flat on a
sheet of polythene then filledwith concrete and a metal loop forming
an anchor point set in at thesame time?Cheers, T i m

Thanks guys

Think I'll try and get to grips with Chris's Trucker's hitch.
A single part rope is fine, but it does take some effort to get
movement from the apple tree trunk.
Just need a means of taking up and securing the slack while
maintaining the tension.

You need something under the rope to protect the bark anyway. If you can
make this *low friction,* more than one loop of rope will give you a
mechanical advantage.

For a *releasable* knot I would use a simple half hitch but leave a loop
in the clamp. I was never a Scout so don't know the terms:-)

Any boatee will know!

--
Tim Lamb