Posted to uk.d-i-y
Brian Reay[_6_] Brian Reay[_6_] is offline

Default Knot Question

thescullster wrote:
Hi all

I am trying to encourage an apple tree in a certain direction by
gradually pulling it over.
There is a copper beach tree nearby to act as the anchor for the
rope tie.

What I need is a knot that can take up slack as I pull hard to
bend the tree.
Anyone understand what I am trying to achieve and suggest the
appropriate knot please?

Thanks

Phil

Two lengths of strong rope. Long enough to make a loop round one tree an
reach almost to the other one.

Place side by side, overlapping, so you have a long twin section. At each
end of the twin section, knot the ropes together. Best way is to form a
loop an tie a knot with the free end. A sheep shank should be ok. You
should end up with a twin section and two ends to make loops.

Tie loop around each tree- cloth or hose to protect trees is a good idea.
Pull centre section as tight as you can initially.

To tighten further you need a bit of wood, place between twin ropes and
twist them together. To maintain tension, lash / peg wood in place.