Posted to uk.d-i-y
Robin Robin is offline

Default Knot Question

On 04/04/2020 21:38, thescullster wrote:
Hi all

I am trying to encourage an apple tree in a certain direction by
gradually pulling it over.
There is a copper beach tree nearby to act as the anchor for the
rope tie.

What I need is a knot that can take up slack as I pull hard to
bend the tree.
Anyone understand what I am trying to achieve and suggest the
appropriate knot please?

I've tied 2 of the knots suggested in the distant past when helping
relatives on HGVs or trying single rope caving techniques. But in the
21st century unless pennies are tight I'd say sod that and buy a heavy
ratchet strap. Another possibility is a self-locking belay device on
the rope. The latter is pricier but allows you to use the rope on
pulleys to get mechanical advantage. Then again, they probably cost
more than 2 or 3 ratchet straps which you can use in parallel.

--
Robin