Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default Knot Question

On Sat, 04 Apr 2020 22:07:13 +0100, Chris Hogg wrote:

On Sat, 4 Apr 2020 21:38:37 +0100 (GMT+01:00), thescullster
wrote:

Hi all

I am trying to encourage an apple tree in a certain direction by
gradually pulling it over.
There is a copper beach tree nearby to act as the anchor for the
rope tie.

What I need is a knot that can take up slack as I pull hard to
bend the tree.
Anyone understand what I am trying to achieve and suggest the
appropriate knot please?

Thanks

Phil

Not sure I see exactly what you're looking for, but look at these -

Garda hitch (needs karabiners but you may be able to improvise)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Garda_hitch

or Trucker's hitch https://www.animatedknots.com/truckers-hitch-knot ?

Whilst that would work and we don't know the whole story (size of
trees, amount of tension required / acceptable, distance between the
trees) I was thinking two parts between the tree would likely offer
more capacity in the rope?

If the distance between the trees was sufficient I wonder if a weight
of some sort tied midway between the trees would act as an automatic
tensioner? Old car tyre laid flat on a sheet of polythene then filled
with concrete and a metal loop forming an anchor point set in at the
same time?

Cheers, T i m