Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Clare Snyder Clare Snyder is offline

Default What's the solvent for wax?

On Fri, 3 Apr 2020 11:02:47 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

On Wednesday, March 21, 2007 at 6:01:13 PM UTC-4, Bob wrote:
I have an ornate old piece of pot metal that was put on a buff using
a lot of waxy compound. The wax of the compound filled holes and fine
lines and is very difficult to remove. I tried alcohol, paint thinner,
lacquer thinner, goof-off, ( with a toothbrush) etc. - but nothing
really seems to get at the wax of the compound. Isn't there a solvent
for wax? Thanks for any help.

Bob Durango

Auto electrical parts cleaner worked for me.

Heat helps too. Trycooking it in a mixture of ammonia and water with
some powdered didhwasher soap. 2 gallons H2O, 2 cups Ammonia, and 1 -
2 cups dishwasher detergent, heated almost to a boil should strip the
wax off pretty quickly.