Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default What's the solvent for wax?

On Wednesday, March 21, 2007 at 6:01:13 PM UTC-4, Bob wrote:
I have an ornate old piece of pot metal that was put on a buff using
a lot of waxy compound. The wax of the compound filled holes and fine
lines and is very difficult to remove. I tried alcohol, paint thinner,
lacquer thinner, goof-off, ( with a toothbrush) etc. - but nothing
really seems to get at the wax of the compound. Isn't there a solvent
for wax? Thanks for any help.

Bob Durango

Auto electrical parts cleaner worked for me.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

John Doe on Sat, 4 Apr 2020 18:37:24
-0000 (UTC) typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:
wrote:

Bob wrote:

I have an ornate old piece of pot metal that was put on a buff
using a lot of waxy compound. The wax of the compound filled
holes and fine lines and is very difficult to remove. I tried
alcohol, paint thinner, lacquer thinner, goof-off, ( with a
toothbrush) etc. - but nothing really seems to get at the wax of
the compound. Isn't there a solvent for wax? Thanks for any
help.

Auto electrical parts cleaner worked for me.

I would suggest trying isopropyl alcohol if not for the current
pandemic. (That is in no way an attempt to start an off-topic
conversation.) Isopropyl alcohol works MAGICALLY for removing hot
melt glue. Note that it is flammable.

Years ago, I asked about getting some wax out of a notebook. Was
told "MEK". Not sure if Regg was right, pulling my leg, or both.
YMMV.

I've also had good luck with using Brake Cleaner on various
occasions. Again, YMMV. But not specifically wax.

I have, otoh, removed wax from brass candle holders by immersing
them in a pot of water, and heating that up on the stove. Word to the
wise: dedicate a pot to this activity, trying to get wax out of a
sauce pan is the same problem again. I have my cooking pans, and I
have my "craft" pans, and never the two shall meet.
--
pyotr filipivich

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Bob wrote:

[...]

heat for sure helps - but heating in a solvent is even better. Heat
the part in varsol - not too hot - in a well ventilated area and away
from open flame. Then BOIL it in a mixture of Dawn dishsoap and water.

Mabee even skip the solvent soak and just go straight to the boiling
dawn. Or use automatic dishwashing detergent in place of the Dawn.
Heat to melt it, then a strong detergent to emulsify it and break it
down.