Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Painting exterior door

On Monday, 30 March 2020 20:44:58 UTC+1, Vir Campestris wrote:
On 27/03/2020 02:15, tabbypurr wrote:
On Monday, 23 March 2020 21:13:05 UTC, Vir Campestris wrote:
On 22/03/2020 13:55, tabbypurr wrote:
On Saturday, 21 March 2020 21:51:35 UTC, Vir Campestris wrote:
On 20/03/2020 23:16, tabbypurr wrote:
On Friday, 20 March 2020 21:49:16 UTC, Vir Campestris wrote:
On 20/03/2020 09:12, Scott wrote:

At the moment, I am looking for a technological solution. I see that
Network Rail used flake glass epoxy on the Forth Bridge but I believe
this is wholly unsuitable.

A good epoxy on bare wood can't be beaten. That's why boats use it.

Andy

Unless I'm mistaken, using that on a timber door exterior traps migrating damp leading to rot.

The trick is to make sure its dry before you coat it.

Andy

obviously that doesn't solve it.

Properly coated the door won't be allowing any damp in.

alkyd paint layers are not impervious.

I'll admit I've had problems on my boat - but they are the areas where

because alkyd paint layers are not impervious.

That sounds like a good reason not to use alkyd, and to use epoxy instead.

Andy

Really. No exterior wooden door has paint that remains gap & crack free. Paint that won't let migrating damp out causes rot. There is akso the separate question of flexibility & seasonal movement.

NT