Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default Boiler Choice

David wrote
mm0fmf wrote
David wrote
newshound wrote

In the same way that VW cars are generaly regarded
as being reliable. That's the power of marketing.

But VW (VAG) cars aren't regarded as reliable. And it's years and
years since "if only everything in life was as reliable as a Volkswagen"
or "very tough as old boots" were marketing phrases.

Certainly wont be as bad as the Ferrolli that was in my son's house.

It's difficult to buy a truly bad new car these days,

No it isnt. Just ask Adam about how
often his work Fiat needs work.

Pretty much all cars and pretty much all boilers are fine.

But there are some duds like Fiat.

I think most people do regard VW cars as reliable,
which is fair enough because they are.

Depends on what you mean by reliable. The current
Golf does in fact have quite a reputation for bits like
door handles etc coming off. Its well known that
that got much worse than with the Mark 1 Golf.

I think they're no more reliable than an average car though.

In fact not as reliable as my Hyundai Getz which never
had even one warranty claim, and no failures at all in 13
years. There is currently some problem with the windscreen
wiper water tank but I havent got around to working out
what the problem is, whether the tank has split or what.

The Mark 1 Golf had a significant number of warranty
claims, including a head gasket and later had some
other failures like the alternator diode block, distributor
rotor, indicator relay, failed speedo cable, failed bonnet
release etc.

The previous 1300 Beetle had fewer problems, again
bought new, but I didnt keep it for all that long. I had
a ****ing great alsatian that loved to have his head out
of the window when driving around in the car and in
summer the bugger used to slobber all down the
back of my neck. I got the Golf because that gave
him is own window and fixed that problem.