Posted to uk.d-i-y
NY[_2_] NY[_2_] is offline

Default Charging your car at home.

"Theo" wrote in message
Indeed not. The people who aren't allowed to park on it includes
you. As dropped kerbs aren't associated with particular car
registrations or keepers only with the addresses where they're located.
Which isn't to say this isn't regularly flouted as in streets
without other restrictions, parking wardens would probably only
show up as the result of a complaint from the person with the
dropped kerb

You aren't allowed to park on it, but it is constructed for the sole use
enter your property. It isn't reserved for you, Mr J. Bloggs, but it's
reserved to allow entrance of the property 99 Acacia Avenue, whose sole
resident happens to be Mr J. Bloggs. The law is different, but the end
result is the same.

My point being we've already have precedent for the principle of reserving
piece of public street for a particular property (not an individual), and
similar programme for charging points wouldn't be a major stretch.

I hadn't realised that the owner of a house isn't allowed to park (or let
vistors park) across the end of his drive if it has a dropped kerb. I know
that no-one is supposed to park where it causes an obstruction - and parking
across a drive definitely obstructs access - but I always thought that the
owner of the house that was obstructed was a special case to whom the
restriction didn't apply.

I know that no-one has exclusive right to park on the road outside the house
(ie either side of the drive access), and that it is a free-for-all: anyone
can park there unless parking is prohibited to everyone.

What are the rules about "residents only" parking? Does that include
visitors to the house, or are they supposed to park further down the street
on in the next street, if there is no space for their car on the owner's
drive? I remember going to visit someone in the centre of Oxford and they
warned me that I would need to phone to give a precise ETA (eg phone from
just round the corner) so the person I was visiting could be standing
outside to give me a visitor's permit as soon as I pulled up, because the
traffic wardens had been known to ticket people in the few seconds it took
to get out of the car, go the house, be given the permit and walk back to
display it in the car.