Posted to uk.d-i-y
John John is offline

Default Lenovo B50-30

On Wednesday, March 18, 2020 at 7:38:58 AM UTC, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
On 17/03/2020 21:18, John wrote:
On Tuesday, March 17, 2020 at 7:56:25 PM UTC, wrote:
On Monday, 16 March 2020 14:28:26 UTC, John wrote:
Thanks very helpful.
So....
1. Buy an external HDD holder from Amazon for £7 or so.
2. Put a new SSD in that.
3. Plug it into the USB port.
4. Ensure the SSD is formatted.

reformat it as ext3, not a windows format
Linux wants 2 partitions, one for swap space, one for everything else. 4G of swap should be more than you'll ever need.

I have an old Intel 330 120gb SSD. I assume this is fine for the Linux OS. So just a matter getting a caddy, inserting, getting into the BIOS and make the SSD the boot (run) disk keeping the one TB HDD as data.

IF you can so that. Boot from the caddy SSD.

The Intel 330 120gb SSD is SATA3 so I assume OK. I noticed the SSD has more pins than the HDD. I am not sure if the SSD is compatible to plug in. It is about 7 or 8 years old, but not used for 6 years.