Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Lenovo B50-30

On Monday, 16 March 2020 11:58:45 UTC, John wrote:
I have 4 GB RAM.

It has been suggested that I install an SSD in the DVD drive slot, make that the run drive with the existing HDD as the slave or a USB? That so? Easy to do in set up?

Fitting the SSD is easy enough with a caddy frame for it, however it is the setup that is always gives problems.

Will the drivers work un a Linux (UNIX) type of OS. etc?

Normally yes. There is win only hardware but they are a tiny percentage. If one linux distro doesn't work just try another - dl a few before losing windows.

Also what version of Linux as there are many?

I have had a belly full of this Windows tripe. I have never had any version of Windows work properly over any length of time - they are all wonderfully fast when new, with performance becoming unworkable over time. All versions quickly became bad.

I've not had that happen with linux, but windows usually it does.

I suppose using Linux some apps can't be used, like WhatsApp web, etc. A small penalty though for a fast usable laptop.

Linux distros have their own repository of apps, pick ones from that. These cover almost everything. So the jobs it'll do are the same but it may be an app with another name.

There is the occasional app that thas no native linux equivalent. These can be run in a windows emulator on linux, eg 'wine.'

Lastly dling apps from the wild web is definitely not advisable, and should be treated as a last resort.

NT