Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim GM4DHJ ... Jim GM4DHJ ... is offline

Default Charging your car at home.

On 17/03/2020 15:22, Brian Reay wrote:
Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
On 17/03/2020 14:39, Brian Reay wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
Came across a car being charged in the street yesterday. H&S well taken
care of - large rubber mats covering the cable and small traffic cones
either end. Impressed. Until I looked at how it was fed. Long 13 amp
extension from the house with a big coil at the end, and a 4 way 13 amp
socket strip, with the car lead plugged into it. At least it wasn't
raining then.

House had a basement, and a light to the exterior stairs recently added by
the shiny conduit. But no dedicated charger point.

Not all chargers require a dedicate charger point.

Ours came with a charger which plugs into a normal 13A socket. In fact, it
is the one I nearly always use. We also got a free, dedicated, charger (
including installation) - fund by some Gov scheme.

The included charge takes longer but the car has a timer and I set it to
charge in the Economy 7 slot. I use could use a normal socket but I have a
radial with just one socket which was installed for something else and use
that.

If I need a quicker charge, Id use the other one.

AFAIK, most cars you can charge come with at least a slow charger.

Of course, plugging them into long extensions etc is more than unwise.

many amps do they take on 230 v ? ...

Good question but I cant recall the details.

The slow one uses a 13A fuse, so probably under that. I have 10A in mind
but Im not sure.

Im pretty sure the MCB on the dedicated charger is 16A .

must be a lot of amps to give so many kilowatts ..