Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default Lenovo B50-30

On 16/03/2020 11:58, John wrote:
I have 4 GB RAM.

It has been suggested that I install an SSD in the DVD drive slot,
make that the run drive with the existing HDD as the slave or a USB?
That so? Easy to do in set up?

Seems like an overly complex way of doing it. How large is the current
HDD? More to the point, how much space is actually being used on it?

I would normally just suggest that you clone the existing HDD onto the
SSD, then replace the HDD with the SSD. But after that you won't need
it. (you can keep it as a disaster recovery backup). (you can use a
simple USB to SATA adaptor to plug the new drive into the computer on a
short term basis to facilitate the copy - it does not need a complete
external caddy as such.

However if you are planning to replace windows entirely with a linux,
then just swap the drives, and boot the laptop from a USB thumb drive
with your chosen version of linux on it, and do a fresh install.

Fitting the SSD is easy enough with a caddy frame for it, however it
is the setup that is always gives problems.

Will the drivers work un a Linux (UNIX) type of OS. etc?

Usually - although it would be worth doing a search the model number to
see if others have had drivers issues. Most stuff works, but you can
sometimes get problems with things like laptop track pads.

Also what version of Linux as there are many?

Pick one of the well known ones, and you will have a better selection of
users to ask questions of. People here like mint, but loads of people
use Ubunto - however that might be a bit to big and heavy for a lower
spec machine. Lots of non geeks use Debian since its basically what the
Raspberry pi runs.

I have had a belly full of this Windows tripe. I have never had any
version of Windows work properly over any length of time - they are
all wonderfully fast when new, with performance becoming unworkable
over time. All versions quickly became bad.

I suppose using Linux some apps can't be used, like WhatsApp web,
etc. A small penalty though for a fast usable laptop.

As an experiment, download a copy of this and make a USB drive from it:

https://nomadbsd.org/

That will give a remarkably responsive desktop on low end hardware with
no installation required. (and its not just a "live" style setup that
throws everything away on reboot - it persists all settings and data
between uses. (its BSD based rather than Linux, but many Linux software
packages will install and run just fine)

--
Cheers,

John.