Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andrew[_22_] Andrew[_22_] is offline

Default Charging your car at home.

Came across a car being charged in the street yesterday. H&S well taken
care of - large rubber mats covering the cable and small traffic cones
either end. Impressed. Until I looked at how it was fed. Long 13 amp
extension from the house with a big coil at the end, and a 4 way 13 amp
socket strip, with the car lead plugged into it. At least it wasn't
raining then.

House had a basement, and a light to the exterior stairs recently added by
the shiny conduit. But no dedicated charger point.

I came across a G-whizz? being charged like this on the road next to
a mansion block in Hammersmith. A series of extension cords came down
from a first floor flat front window, to a pole at the bottom of the
steps going up to the ground floor, then across the pavement at about
6 foot high, then duck taped to a lighting pole and down to the car.

Wish I had taken a photo.