Posted to uk.d-i-y
AnthonyL AnthonyL is offline

Default Lenovo B50-30

On Mon, 16 Mar 2020 00:46:21 +0000, John Rumm
wrote:

On 14/03/2020 16:15, alan_m wrote:
On 14/03/2020 15:06, John Rumm wrote:

Although if you are going to disable automatic checks, make sure that
you have an effective patching routine to ensure you are not running
applications with known critical vulnerabilities for extended periods
of time.

I take it you have never had the misfortune of working on a project and
when close to the deadline an automatic update results in a GUI change?

While I have had updates result in changes to UI features, I have not
had any show stopping incidents. I have however had machines in effect
deny service by deciding to do updates at unexpected times. Not so much
of an issue on a quick machine, but can be an issue if working on
ancient kit belonging to a customer etc.

Lucky you. My dual boot laptop is now borked as a result of 1909.

1) Booted into grub repair but nothing I could do work
2) Used Win10 media USB and got MBR repaired, booted into Windows but
no option for Linux
3) Tried Boot-repair and something ran that I didn't expect and I've
now lost my Linux partition (unallocated).

Fortunately I'm now having to curtail all my social and external
activities so have lots of time to sort it all out.

Please Mr m$oft - when you are going to do an update as I switch off
to go to bed tell me what your are going to wreck first. No wonder so
many resist any updates and my most reliable system remains this XP
that I'm now typing on - a Lenovo 3000-N100 if anyone wants to know,
purchased 01/10/2007

--
AnthonyL

Why do scientists need to BELIEVE in anything?