Posted to uk.d-i-y
John John is offline

Default Lenovo B50-30

On Monday, March 16, 2020 at 4:36:35 PM UTC, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
On 16/03/2020 14:16, #Paul wrote:
John wrote:
Also, what is the best version of Linux for a Lenovo 310 laptop
as there are so many?

As you have seen, lots of people recommend Mint. I use Slackware
myself, but that's not suitable for everybody; although sometimes
Debian if it's not a machine I need to micromanage.

I am not familiar with Mint, but for a low powered laptop, the
choice of window manager can be important. I tend to recommend
xfce as one that will seem friendly enough but will not overtax
your system, as e.g. kde or gnome might.

#Paul

This is also a very useful video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9T_70MApHaA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfRE2rLdnFQ

is a very good walk through installation and early configuration

I used this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Vq_v0oGPH8

I am up and running on only a USB which is infinitely faster than Windows 10.o change some things. Probably never did it right as some BIOS windows came up on boot up. All works irrespective, sound, graphics, WiFi, cable Internet, etc. Very surprised. I had to go intro the BIOS tI am a happy bunny. What it will be like on a SSD I await will eager anticipation. So some more setting up to do.

Can a normal Unix window using standard Unix commands be found?