Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Lenovo B50-30

On 16/03/2020 14:16, #Paul wrote:
John wrote:
Also, what is the best version of Linux for a Lenovo 310 laptop
as there are so many?

As you have seen, lots of people recommend Mint. I use Slackware
myself, but that's not suitable for everybody; although sometimes
Debian if it's not a machine I need to micromanage.

I am not familiar with Mint, but for a low powered laptop, the
choice of window manager can be important. I tend to recommend
xfce as one that will seem friendly enough but will not overtax
your system, as e.g. kde or gnome might.

XFCE is a good choice BUT for a windows user I think MATE is instantly
more familiar.

I can assure you it works fine in 2GB RAM: The big hog is not the
desktop manager it is the likes of Firefox and Thunderbird.,

Mate was built over gnome, but IIRC its now running on the GTK toolkit
and is lighter weight as a result

Cinnamon is prettier, but I found it less functional than mate.
XFCE is a bit like going back to windows 3 in terms of a very plain flat
look

this is worth looking at

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5rWBjIyE9dw

#Paul