Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Lenovo B50-30

On 16/03/2020 11:58, John wrote:
I have 4 GB RAM.

It has been suggested that I install an SSD in the DVD drive slot,
make that the run drive with the existing HDD as the slave or a USB?
That so? Easy to do in set up?

cant see why you would want to, but yes should be OK if it physically
fitrs., BUT it may confuse the BiOS

Fitting the SSD is easy enough with a caddy frame for it, however it
is the setup that is always gives problems.

Will the drivers work un a Linux (UNIX) type of OS. etc?

no drivers required. It will be a SATA interface. Issue may be in BIOS.

Also what version of Linux as there are many?

No, there is only one version of *linux*.
Manyt difgferent releaqses of te kernel, but tyat wont bother you.,

I have had a belly full of this Windows tripe. I have never had any
version of Windows work properly over any length of time - they are
all wonderfully fast when new, with performance becoming unworkable
over time. All versions quickly became bad.

I suppose using Linux some apps can't be used, like WhatsApp web,
etc. A small penalty though for a fast usable laptop.

I think whatsapp web works OK.

I would strongly advise you burn a DVD with a live linux and checck
that boots OK before you remove the DVD

I would further advise you to get a USB caddy for the existing drive nd
put the SSD in the laptop.

That's what I did and it worked smoothly

--
€œit should be clear by now to everyone that activist environmentalism
about their freedom, about the relationship between the individual and

Vaclav Klaus