Posted to uk.d-i-y
AnthonyL AnthonyL is offline

Default Adding wireless Boiler stat

On Wed, 11 Mar 2020 06:20:51 -0700 (PDT), Tricky Dicky
wrote:

Please update. I appear to have the same setup as you and would like=20
something smarter without overdoing it.=20

In particular how easy or otherwise to remove the timer mechanism.=20

Our boiler is in a back utility room extensions so the wireless signal=20
as a way to go as well.=20

I can only speak for the Hive system but should imagine other smart systems=
are pretty much the same. The basic system consists of the wireless therm=
ostat that communicates with a receiver that is wired to the boiler and a h=
ub connected with CAT5 to the router and communicates wirelessly to the rec=
eiver. If you do not intend to use the app to control the system or over th=
e internet then the hub is not required. The receiver only needs to be plac=
ed where it will receive a signal from the thermostat and likewise the hub =
but needs wiring back to the boiler.

In our instance the router is in the hallway and so is the hub and the rece=
iver, the receiver is wired through the wall to the boiler which is situate=
d in an airing cupboard in a bathroom off the hallway. As for the thermosta=
t that can be fixed permanently to a wall or mounted on a stand and taken t=
o different rooms. I have tried it in various locations and it has not fail=
ed to communicate despite all internal walls being of block construction.

Thanks. Our router is in the middle of the main house but not the
extensions. If I take a laptop/smartphone to where the boiler is I
lose connectivity. The extension is flat roofed into the bungalow and
getting wires from one to the other is not easy. The bungalow is
fully carpeted and the attic fully floorboarded. Might have to resort
to a powerlink device.

I have one in my study (another extension) which works - most of the
time.

--
AnthonyL

Why do scientists need to BELIEVE in anything?