Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim GM4DHJ ... Jim GM4DHJ ... is offline

Default brickwork

On 10/03/2020 21:32, wrote:
On Tuesday, 10 March 2020 18:47:52 UTC, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
On 10/03/2020 11:35, Roger Hayter wrote:
Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
On 10/03/2020 11:01, Roger Hayter wrote:
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
On 10/03/2020 09:44, charles wrote:
In article ,
Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:

Do courses in a brick wall have to be level ? ...I think not ....

If you mean horizontal, ideally yes, It looks better that way, generally.

Unless you are building an arch, or something artistic...

I've seen old garden/estate walls built parallel to ground level,
following at least about one in twenty slopes. In a hilly part of the
country this probably would not work.

thirty years ago we tried to condemn a wall that was up and down but we
couldn't find any regs or British standard or codes of practice to say
it wasn't OK so we left him to it and he roughcast it anyway...just
wondered what people thought ....

If someone built a house like that you might be able to condemn it on
some general rule like "looks likely to fall down", I would have
thought.

can't do that kind of thing "looks likely" doesn't stand up in court .....

What was the reason for trying to condemn it?

we had never seen any thing but level coursed brickwork before .....