Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default brickwork

Do courses in a brick wall have to be level ? ...I think not ....
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 10 March 2020 08:29:21 UTC, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
Do courses in a brick wall have to be level ? ...I think not ....

If visible, it looks **** if they aren't.
The wall does have to be vertical
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/03/2020 08:32, harry wrote:
On Tuesday, 10 March 2020 08:29:21 UTC, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
Do courses in a brick wall have to be level ? ...I think not ....

If visible, it looks **** if they aren't.
The wall does have to be vertical

but does it matter if the wall is to be harled ? ...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
Do courses in a brick wall have to be level ? ...I think not ....

If you mean horizontal, ideally yes, It looks better that way, generally.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
On 10/03/2020 08:32, harry wrote:
On Tuesday, 10 March 2020 08:29:21 UTC, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
Do courses in a brick wall have to be level ? ...I think not ....

If visible, it looks **** if they aren't.
The wall does have to be vertical

but does it matter if the wall is to be harled ? ...

the English won't know that word'

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/03/2020 09:44, charles wrote:
In article ,
Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
Do courses in a brick wall have to be level ? ...I think not ....

If you mean horizontal, ideally yes, It looks better that way, generally.

Unless you are building an arch, or something artistic...

Lucas Bergkamp
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/03/2020 09:45, charles wrote:
In article ,
Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
On 10/03/2020 08:32, harry wrote:
On Tuesday, 10 March 2020 08:29:21 UTC, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
Do courses in a brick wall have to be level ? ...I think not ....

If visible, it looks **** if they aren't.
The wall does have to be vertical

but does it matter if the wall is to be harled ? ...

the English won't know that word'

But we can look it up.

Lucas Bergkamp
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
On 10/03/2020 08:32, harry wrote:
On Tuesday, 10 March 2020 08:29:21 UTC, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
Do courses in a brick wall have to be level ? ...I think not ....

If visible, it looks **** if they aren't.
The wall does have to be vertical

but does it matter if the wall is to be harled ? ...

the English won't know that word'

that is why I used it...tee hee
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 10 March 2020 08:29:21 UTC, Jim GM4DHJ ...Â* wrote:
Do courses in a brick wall have to be level ? ...I think not ....

If visible, it looks **** if they aren't.
The wall does have to be vertical

but does it matter if the wall is to be harled ? ...

the English won't know that word'

But we can look it up.

and make yourselves look knowledgeable....
Posted to uk.d-i-y

You can get brick, block and stone walls that follow the slope of the land and look OK but my preference is for a stepped wall with level courses. I think the essential thing is to get the courses in line if you are following the slope nothing looks more unaesthetic than courses with uneven mortar lines and bricks out of alignment with their neighbours.

Richard

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
Do courses in a brick wall have to be level ? ...I think not ....

If you mean horizontal, ideally yes, It looks better that way, generally.

Unless you are building an arch, or something artistic...

I've seen old garden/estate walls built parallel to ground level,
following at least about one in twenty slopes. In a hilly part of the
country this probably would not work.

--

Roger Hayter
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
charles wrote:
In article ,
Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
On 10/03/2020 08:32, harry wrote:
On Tuesday, 10 March 2020 08:29:21 UTC, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
Do courses in a brick wall have to be level ? ...I think not ....

If visible, it looks **** if they aren't.
The wall does have to be vertical

but does it matter if the wall is to be harled ? ...

the English won't know that word'

Makes some sense when you watch it being applied. ;-)

--
*Heart attacks... God's revenge for eating his animal friends

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Roger Hayter wrote:

I've seen old garden/estate walls built parallel to ground level,
following at least about one in twenty slopes. In a hilly part of the
country this probably would not work.

Indeed so. The walled garden at Calke Abbey has a section
originally built like that, but later work has raised it and
those courses are tapered in to be (nearer) horizontal.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK
@ChrisJDixon1

Plant amazing Acers.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
Do courses in a brick wall have to be level ? ...I think not ....

If you mean horizontal, ideally yes, It looks better that way, generally.

Unless you are building an arch, or something artistic...

I've seen old garden/estate walls built parallel to ground level,
following at least about one in twenty slopes. In a hilly part of the
country this probably would not work.

thirty years ago we tried to condemn a wall that was up and down but we
couldn't find any regs or British standard or codes of practice to say
it wasn't OK so we left him to it and he roughcast it anyway...just
wondered what people thought ....
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/03/2020 11:11, Chris J Dixon wrote:
Roger Hayter wrote:

I've seen old garden/estate walls built parallel to ground level,
following at least about one in twenty slopes. In a hilly part of the
country this probably would not work.

Indeed so. The walled garden at Calke Abbey has a section
originally built like that, but later work has raised it and
those courses are tapered in to be (nearer) horizontal.

Chris

I was thinking more of waving up and down rather than like you describe....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
Do courses in a brick wall have to be level ? ...I think not ....

If you mean horizontal, ideally yes, It looks better that way, generally.

Unless you are building an arch, or something artistic...

I've seen old garden/estate walls built parallel to ground level,
following at least about one in twenty slopes. In a hilly part of the
country this probably would not work.

thirty years ago we tried to condemn a wall that was up and down but we
couldn't find any regs or British standard or codes of practice to say
it wasn't OK so we left him to it and he roughcast it anyway...just
wondered what people thought ....

If someone built a house like that you might be able to condemn it on
some general rule like "looks likely to fall down", I would have
thought.

--

Roger Hayter
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Roger Hayter wrote:

I've seen old garden/estate walls built parallel to ground level,
following at least about one in twenty slopes. In a hilly part of the
country this probably would not work.

Indeed so. The walled garden at Calke Abbey has a section
originally built like that, but later work has raised it and
those courses are tapered in to be (nearer) horizontal.

Chris

I was thinking more of waving up and down rather than like you describe....

You mean regardless of the lie of the land? That just sounds like poor
workmanship. Isn't there some rule about how thick a mortar bed can
safely be?

--

Roger Hayter
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote

Do courses in a brick wall have to be level ? ...

Nope, most obviously with brick walls.

I think not ....

We've noticed that.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default UNBELIEVABLE: It's 0123 am in Australia and the Senile Ozzietard is out of Bed and TROLLING, already!!!! LOL

On Wed, 11 Mar 2020 01:23:29 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

FLUSH senile troll****

01:23??? AGAIN? ROTFLOL!

--
Bod addressing senile Rot:
"Rod, you have a sick twisted mind. I suggest you stop your mindless
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
Do courses in a brick wall have to be level ? ...I think not ....

If you mean horizontal, ideally yes, It looks better that way,
generally.

Unless you are building an arch, or something artistic...

I've seen old garden/estate walls built parallel to ground level,
following at least about one in twenty slopes. In a hilly part of the
country this probably would not work.

thirty years ago we tried to condemn a wall that was up and down but we
couldn't find any regs or British standard or codes of practice to say
it wasn't OK so we left him to it and he roughcast it anyway...just
wondered what people thought ....

If someone built a house like that you might be able to condemn it on
some general rule like "looks likely to fall down", I would have
thought.

You'd be wrong if it follows the lie of the land and the slope
isnt huge.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default UNBELIEVABLE: It's 02:286 am in Australia and the Senile Pest has been out of Bed and TROLLING for OVER AN HOUR already!!!! LOL

On Wed, 11 Mar 2020 02:28:05 +1100, John_j, better known as cantankerous

FLUSH senile asshole's troll****

02:28??? So your first hour of trolling is over already! Still another ten
or more hours of your lonely trolling ahead of you, eh, you clinically
insane senile asshole?

--
Website (from 2007) dedicated to the 86-year-old trolling senile
cretin from Oz:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

If you want to ask a question fine, but if you do for goodness sake include
context to the question or people will shove into their back corner of their
newsreaders where all the cobwebs and spiders live.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Jim GM4DHJ ..." wrote in message
Do courses in a brick wall have to be level ? ...I think not ....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Roger Hayter wrote:

I've seen old garden/estate walls built parallel to ground level,
following at least about one in twenty slopes. In a hilly part of the
country this probably would not work.

Indeed so. The walled garden at Calke Abbey has a section
originally built like that, but later work has raised it and
those courses are tapered in to be (nearer) horizontal.

Chris

I was thinking more of waving up and down rather than like you describe....

You mean regardless of the lie of the land? That just sounds like poor
workmanship. Isn't there some rule about how thick a mortar bed can
safely be?

probably but nothing could be done....
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
Do courses in a brick wall have to be level ? ...I think not ....

If you mean horizontal, ideally yes, It looks better that way, generally.

Unless you are building an arch, or something artistic...

I've seen old garden/estate walls built parallel to ground level,
following at least about one in twenty slopes. In a hilly part of the
country this probably would not work.

thirty years ago we tried to condemn a wall that was up and down but we
couldn't find any regs or British standard or codes of practice to say
it wasn't OK so we left him to it and he roughcast it anyway...just
wondered what people thought ....

If someone built a house like that you might be able to condemn it on
some general rule like "looks likely to fall down", I would have
thought.

can't do that kind of thing "looks likely" doesn't stand up in court .....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:

Do courses in a brick wall have to be level ? ...I think not ....

If you mean horizontal, ideally yes, It looks better that way, generally.

Unless you are building an arch, or something artistic...

I've seen old garden/estate walls built parallel to ground level,
following at least about one in twenty slopes. In a hilly part of the
country this probably would not work.

thirty years ago we tried to condemn a wall that was up and down but we
couldn't find any regs or British standard or codes of practice to say
it wasn't OK so we left him to it and he roughcast it anyway...just
wondered what people thought ....

If someone built a house like that you might be able to condemn it on
some general rule like "looks likely to fall down", I would have
thought.

can't do that kind of thing "looks likely" doesn't stand up in court .....

What was the reason for trying to condemn it?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
On 10/03/2020 08:32, harry wrote:
On Tuesday, 10 March 2020 08:29:21 UTC, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
Do courses in a brick wall have to be level ? ...I think not ....

If visible, it looks **** if they aren't.
The wall does have to be vertical

but does it matter if the wall is to be harled ? ...

the English won't know that word'

We can make a good guess at it though - and Google confirms that it was
correct.

SteveW

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 11 March 2020 08:34:33 UTC, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:

Do courses in a brick wall have to be level ? ...I think not .....

If you mean horizontal, ideally yes, It looks better that way,
generally.

Unless you are building an arch, or something artistic...

I've seen old garden/estate walls built parallel to ground level,
following at least about one in twenty slopes.Â*Â* In a hilly part
of the
country this probably would not work.

thirty years ago we tried to condemn a wall that was up and down
but we
couldn't find any regs or British standard or codes of practice to say
it wasn't OK so we left him to it and he roughcast it anyway...just
wondered what people thought ....

If someone built a house like that you might be able to condemn it on
some general rule like "looks likely to fall down", I would have
thought.

can't do that kind of thing "looks likely" doesn't stand up in court

What was the reason for trying to condemn it?

we had never seen any thing but level coursed brickwork before .....

fear of the unknown ....

there's a fair bit of unlevel out there, (bungaroosh probably being the ultimate). I wasn't aware of arched brickwork being considered a problem. Generally I'm not aware of it being a risk unless the angles involved are not mild. But it's all water under the watery thing now.

NT