Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim GM4DHJ ... Jim GM4DHJ ... is offline

Default brickwork

On 10/03/2020 11:42, Roger Hayter wrote:
Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:

On 10/03/2020 11:11, Chris J Dixon wrote:
Roger Hayter wrote:

I've seen old garden/estate walls built parallel to ground level,
following at least about one in twenty slopes. In a hilly part of the
country this probably would not work.

Indeed so. The walled garden at Calke Abbey has a section
originally built like that, but later work has raised it and
those courses are tapered in to be (nearer) horizontal.

Chris

I was thinking more of waving up and down rather than like you describe....

You mean regardless of the lie of the land? That just sounds like poor
workmanship. Isn't there some rule about how thick a mortar bed can
safely be?

probably but nothing could be done....