HRL

Default connecting aluminum to copper wiring

wrote:
On 2 May 2004 21:42:49 -0700,
(Mr. Bill) wrote:

Hi all,

I am remodeling my kitchen. I need to move the wiring for my range
and I found oday that the wiring is aluminum. Here are the details:

House built in California in 1992. All of the wiring except to the
range is copper.

Range wiring #6 aluminum, 3 conductors + gruond. All stranded. 2
conductors black, one gray, grounde bare, breakers 50amp.

House is 2-story with kitchen downstairs and range wiring between
truss web.

So, What's up with aluminum wiring in 1992?

More important, I need to attach about 20' of wire to get to the
rannge location. What sort of connector is approved for this?

I would like to use a new copper cable, but I want to know what type
of connector to use. I know about the connection being in a box and
accessible, etc. I just want to make the coppper/aluminum connection
right.

Thanks much.

By the time you buy connectors and such, why not just replace the
whole cable all the way to the breaker box, and know you are safe. I
was never fond of splicing high amperage cable, even if they are all
copper. At a little over $1 per foot, isn't it worth knowing you are
safe? Most likely less work too....

I have a similar problem. All I would need to do is tear rip open
about 40 feet of wall board. I think that might be a little more
expensive and work. I assume he has the same situation. Unless we laid
it undergound along the foundation.