Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Joyce Jim Joyce is offline

Default I want to improve my front door lock

On Mon, 9 Mar 2020 11:51:13 -0500, dpb wrote:

On 3/9/2020 11:44 AM, trader_4 wrote:
On Monday, March 9, 2020 at 12:14:49 PM UTC-4, micky wrote:
Has anyone ever used this or do you know about it?
https://www.amazon.com/MiLocks-WF-02...YI/ref=sr_1_27

Remote control, like a car. Were you pleased? When the batteries get
weak, do you know if the door did not get looked? It uses iirc 4 AA
cells. (With a car, one locks the door when he's finished driving so the
car battery is allways strong.)

Seems obvious to me that with a dead battery, it's not going to be
able to lock the door.....

Well which direction is "fail safe" -- locked or unlocked?

Did they choose to lock you out or not? Or does it just stay in
present state?

My house came with a Kwikset 'Smart Lock'. It takes a standard key, which
none of us carry, and it has a keypad that we all use. It's also Z-Wave
compatible, so we can lock/unlock or check status over the Internet from
anywhere in the world and it's integrated into the alarm system along with
the lights, the thermostat, the garage doors, and more. When the battery
got low, it warned us about 6 weeks in advance of simply shutting down.

Pro: it's very convenient. Everybody gets their own entry code, plus you
can assign one-time entry codes so people such as Amazon drivers can place
a package inside the house. We don't do that. Via the Internet, we can see
if the door is currently locked or unlocked, and we can see a history of
every time it has been locked/unlocked, and we can set it to notify us via
text if it's unlocked after a certain time at night. Since everyone has
their own code, we can see when people/kids come and go.

Con: If I can unlock it over the Internet, in theory so can anyone else.

https://www.kwikset.com/products/ele...ic-smart-locks

Could be designed as any of the above...

I'm pretty much old school and the fewer such doodads to have to have
the better--albeit will admit the car fob is handy but would I want
another one for the house? Don't think so...but ceratainly wouldn't
want to be interchangeable or something like that. And, I'm not a smart
phone kind of guy to put stuff on apps, either...

I think we've traded convenience for security, so you're ahead of us there.