Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default CCTV advice please.

On Mon, 9 Mar 2020 16:07:02 +0000, williamwright
wrote:

On 09/03/2020 15:35, T i m wrote:

If you can get power to them you should obviously not use wireless ones.

Obviously? How does the difficulty of running cables compare with the
potential ease of finding power local to the cameras?

Where does he say he can find local power?

Where does he say he can't? What he does state however is that "It
will not be possible to run a network cable anywhere" and logic
dictates, if he can't do that he won't be *running* power cables (any
distance) either but picking the power up locally. That could even be
batteries and solar for all we know.

It's no more trouble to run RG59+2 than it is to run a power-only cable.

Except he's expressly stated he won't be running any 'data'/ signal'
cable

For no good reason.

For 'no good reason' that you are aware of. However, he did actually
state "It will not be possible to run a network cable anywhere and so
by any form of logical reasoning, he wouldn't be able to run power
(any distance) either.

That's my point.

That's your opinion but completely ignoring the information presented.

He has a misapprehension that I
have corrected.

You have made an assumption based on illogic.

What if say it's a listed building,

What if it's a little house in the forest made of chocolate? What if
it's an ice hotel and will melt when Spring comes? What if he lives in a
****ing cardboard box?

Grow up.

And why not get a proper dedicated recorder?

Why not indeed. You could have asked "Have you considered a dedicated
recorder (that will allow easy configuration of Wireless IP cameras)"

So you are correcting my phraseology now are you?

Yes, but I'm guessing you just had another bad day. The phraseology of
that particular sentence reflected your bullish attitude of all the
other points.

Is an IP recorder that will support a WiFi cam sill going to be 'as
cheap as chips' and easy to connect with WiFi IP cameras?

Absolutely. Yes.

Then that's fine as that will do what he wants, assuming he actually
wants a dedicated recorder. What he actually asked for was: "facility
to record to a router usb disc or a pc HDD" and he may well have
requested that for very good reason.

OOI, if he asks such a question using those constraints, do you think
he's completely tech illiterate (and think WiFi cams are powered by
pixies) where your initial replies would be any answer to his
questions?

Your reply was like one of the 'Use Linux' ones to a Windows question.

Whilst it can have merits in some cases, in this case the OP stated
specifically he didn't want Linux.

Don't get me wrong here, I agree that a cabled system with a dedicated
box would be the best solution, but it doesn't seem to be even a
possible solution in this case.

Cheers, T i m