Posted to uk.d-i-y
Brian Reay[_6_] Brian Reay[_6_] is offline

Default Adding wireless Boiler stat

Roger Hayter wrote:
Mike Clarke wrote:

On 08/03/2020 09:04, Tricky Dicky wrote:
The OP did not mention if the heating system had TRVs throughout. I have

come across systems where all there was a programmer with no room stat
and all the temperature control was through the individual TRVs in fact
a friend of mine had that exact system. I have virtually the same having
equipped all my radiators with Hive smart thermostats except for the
bathroom which is the official system bypass and the kickspace heater in
the kitchen which has its own thermostat. If the OP has a system as
mentioned above the unwired room stat may just be a redundant item from
a previous setup.

With 'smart' TRVs which ensure that the boiler only fires up if there's
a call for heat that would be OK but I don't think traditional 'dumb'
TRVs satisfy Building Regs requirement because the boiler will keep
cycling to maintain the heating water temperature when not required.

For eight months of the year I can be pretty confident that it will be
never more than ten minutes that the CH will not be required.[1] So
this is a non-issue. Apart from the fact that if one has a combi
boiler the regulations do not forbid you to have the same boiler cycling
as needed 24/7 to maintain the availability of hot water. I have no use
for a room thermostat to supplement the TRVs. When I had one I simply
turned it to 35 degrees until I go round to disconnecting it.

[1] There are insurmountable obstacles (aesthetic mainly) to insulating
the house properly.

10 mins? That is ( almost) unbelievable. On of the interesting things the
Hive application allows you to see is the temperature profile against time-
obviously of where the sensor is but they can be unclipped (assuming youve
clipped it to a wall) and moved from room to room.

One of the interesting things which came to light was just how slowly our
house cools down once the heating is turned off. True it is ( relatively)
modern, has cavity insulation, good loft insulation, double glazing etc,
but I was still surprised.

A previous house was initially cold, or more exactly felt cold. Some time
fixing draft excluder made a huge difference. It wasnt double glazed.