Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Adding wireless Boiler stat

On 07/03/2020 16:11, rick wrote:
Been getting on with work on my parents hose which they persuaded me to
buy.

Heating system is standard single zone rads to a Baxi 105HE Condensing
Combi boiler.

Checking out its all working - found the wall mounted Honeywell
thermostat had no effect on boiler, the system in fact being controlled
by the timer control on boiler and the heating temp dial on boiler.

The system is under service contract with British GasÂ* (who did annual
service & safety check in Jan)Â*Â* so called them.
They explained that separate thermostats are mandatory since 1982 so if
faulty it would have to be replaced.

On inspection they found it was not wired in the boiler (yellow wire
link across where stat would be wired) ... and no cable there, assume it
must have been 'cut out' when previous non-combi boiler was replaced 5
years ago.Â* Honeywell stat certainly used to work with old boiler
(simple bi-metal type)

I did ask how it passed the annual boiler & controls service if it
doesn't work - no answer on that.

It would not be easy or neat to run in new cables .... so I have 2 options.

1. Fit a basic Remote wireless thermostat-anybody know of a simple one?,
don't need programming options as there is a programmer timer on the
boiler.

Yes I fitted a single one. Its basically just a remote stat. Has
temperature set and thats it.

http://www.tmejackson.co.uk/manuals/...atash eet.pdf

MOSTLY works tho sometimes flat batteries or power cuts cause it to lose
its marbles and it needs re-pairing

Its obsolete now but here's one on ebay

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sunvic-Tl...-/193316265321
The modern equivalent seems to be this

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sunvic-ESta.../dp/B07BZLLPQ8

Change batteries once a year

British gas are also preparing a quote, for this - though may do it myself.

Its very simple. essentially the mains power receiver ends up as a tow
wire relay contact. Stick that in series with your CH call for heat from
your timer.

mount everything in suitable places, follow the manual to set it up and
forget about it.

IJW.

It
Just
Works

--
€œThe ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to
fill the world with fools.€

Herbert Spencer