Mr. Bill

Default connecting aluminum to copper wiring

Hi all,

I am remodeling my kitchen. I need to move the wiring for my range
and I found oday that the wiring is aluminum. Here are the details:

House built in California in 1992. All of the wiring except to the
range is copper.

Range wiring #6 aluminum, 3 conductors + gruond. All stranded. 2
conductors black, one gray, grounde bare, breakers 50amp.

House is 2-story with kitchen downstairs and range wiring between
truss web.

So, What's up with aluminum wiring in 1992?

More important, I need to attach about 20' of wire to get to the
rannge location. What sort of connector is approved for this?

I would like to use a new copper cable, but I want to know what type
of connector to use. I know about the connection being in a box and
accessible, etc. I just want to make the coppper/aluminum connection
right.

Thanks much.