Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Singer sewing machine foot control

On 06/03/2020 10:33, Clive Arthur wrote:
On 06/03/2020 01:08, wrote:

The white tube is a variable carbon resistor. Increasing pressure on
the end lowers the resistance. It oughta be progressive. And shouldn't
smoke

Yes, it's a 'carbon pile rheostat' patented by Singer in 1949 - lots of
carbon discs in a tube and you lower the resistance by squeezing them
together.Â* Google the phrase and there are some instructions on
repairing them.

Useful, thanks. I might have a go, but I don't have a source of spare
discs if they're needed.
--
Cheers,
Roger