Posted to uk.d-i-y
John_j John_j is offline

Default Extemporaneous hand sanitizer.

"Andrew" wrote in message
On 04/03/2020 09:33, Roger Hayter wrote:
Chris Hogg wrote:

On Wed, 04 Mar 2020 00:18:56 +0000, Graham.
wrote:

I've just ordered a litre of IPA, I going to decant it into small
plastic bottles with a little hand cream.

Couldn't find any in the shops.

Typing ALK into Google suggests this is a hot topic.

Lots of recipes he https://tinyurl.com/weypjzh Basically, some sort
of gel, aloe vera is popular, with alcohol, one part gel to two parts
alcohol. It's the alcohol that kills the virus - the gel just stops
your skin drying up, but the mix needs to contain at least 60%
alcohol, so I doubt that IPA would do. Any alcohol seems to be OK.
Rubbing alcohol (isopropanol) is popular, but ethanol seems OK as
vodka is also suggested (but the proportions may need adjusting to
account for its water content, say one gel to three vodka), and I have
a bottle of meths somewhere in the garage.

Even neat vodka doesn't have enough alcohol in it.

Pisco was on sale in pretty potent strengths last time I was
in Chile (about 30 years ago).

Still is and neat alcohol now. Mate of mine was offered
some in Jan there, just before he returned here at the
end of Jan with considerable difficulty getting out of china.

But HuffPost advises against diy sanitiser, preferring thorough
handwashing instead https://tinyurl.com/t3wy46j