Posted to uk.d-i-y
[email protected] kevidennis13@gmail.com is offline

Default Reconditioning dripping ceramic disc tap?

On Wednesday, March 17, 2004 at 2:40:42 PM UTC, Lobster wrote:
My kitchen mixer tap is one of those with a 90-degree on-off levers on
the H&C taps, with ceramic discs inside; unfortunately the hot tap is
dripping quite badly (sufficiently so for the tap always to feel warm
from the leaking hot water).

Having trawled the uk.d-i-y archives for a solution, I did as directed
and removed the cartridge from the tap and took it a couple of
plumber's merchants to get a replacement. One said it was no longer
made, buy a new tap (it's only 2-3 years old); the other said without
the manufacturer's name (which I've no idea) he couldn't help.

Before I go and buy a new tap :-( has anybody had any experience with
cleaning up or reconditioning these cartridges? If so, how? Mine
comes apart easily to give two small white discs with triangular holes
through, and they look perfectly clean and flat to me.

Or any other suggestions?

Cheers
David

I found that putting a fibre washer between the cartridge and the tap has sorted my dripping tap. I suspect the ceramic discs do not leak but the blue/red plastic rings deteriorate with time. Try it.