Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Did we somehow ruin the next generation?

On 04/03/2020 15:27, Andrew wrote:
On 04/03/2020 08:14, Chris J Dixon wrote:
Motorway
trips in a cross wind were very interesting, as the steering,
even with new king pins, was incredibly soggy.

M62 eastbound was fun. If I didn't get a good run at it I had to
change down before the summit.

Then there was the heater designed so that, if it was going to
stick, it would do so fully on. As it was a waterless system, the
air could get pretty hot, and a passenger once had a pair of
shoes ruined. It was just some flaps and a lever, but once it had
seized you had to get underneath to free it off.

Uncle had a VW combi campervan and strong side winds would
easily move it from fast line to hard shoulder without
turning the steering wheel at all.

the usual thing was to load up the front 'boot' with sandbags (beetle) -
or pick up a hitch hiker

Heating came from huge heat exchangers on the exhaust ports
on each bank. If they corroded you got exhaust gases inside
the vehicle !.

Or if they got corroded you got no heat at all

--
The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to
rule.