Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andrew[_22_] Andrew[_22_] is offline

Default Did we somehow ruin the next generation?

On 03/03/2020 20:03, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
In article ,
Â*Â*Â* Harry Bloomfield wrote:
I used to
tinker with my Mini 50 years ago and mostly made a mess of it, so I
gave up.

They never came any simpler, than a mini.

Mini wasn't that simple a car to work on. Compared to say a Morris Minor.

I know I wrote my 1963 mini 850 off in 1970 and built it into another
body shell when I was 17....best thing that ever happened as being a
good mechanic has saved me a fortune over the last 50 years......OMG the
memories....rubber suspension units requiring a compressor stupid engine
above the gearbox with idling gear bearings that used to go....rotten
rear subframe ..engine tie bar rubber problems etc etc ,,,,

ENORMOUS socket set needed to work on the lower front
ball joints, which to be fair could be unscrewed and
fixed with a repair kit and new shims.

Most people used a geordie spanner to tighten them.

You forgot, flat battery, and being in the boot meant
a massive voltage drop. Mind you, better than a Hillman
imp with a metal petrol tank in front of you in the 'boot'.