Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Did we somehow ruin the next generation?

On Tue, 03 Mar 2020 16:32:22 +0000, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article ,
Bob Eager wrote:
On Tue, 03 Mar 2020 13:44:48 +0000, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article ,
Bob Eager wrote:
On Tue, 03 Mar 2020 11:21:24 +0000, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article ,
Harry Bloomfield wrote:
I used to tinker with my Mini 50 years ago and mostly made a
mess of it, so I gave up.

They never came any simpler, than a mini.

Mini wasn't that simple a car to work on. Compared to say a Morris
Minor.

Apart from changing the brake master cylinder, as I recall.

True. ;-)

I changed that for a 1952 Series I Land Rover. I did the front UJ seals
on that. The harder one was the clutch change - single handed.

Very heavy box?

Very heavy. I didn't want to get into taking the transfer box off the
main box.

Easiest clutch change I ever did on a RWD was a Mk1 Escort. Finished
before elevenses. ;-)

But the Triumph 1300 FWD took the biscuit. All done from inside the car
without removing the box or engine.

I had to do this from inside. It was a model with no proper roof, just a
tilt. So after I'd sawed off all the rusted bolts and removed the floor
and gearbox cover, I wheeled the hoist in, and after some persuasion got
the boxes and bell housing to move backwards so I could lift them out of
the way. Refitting involved sitting on the cross member (seats removed
too of course) and pushing the bell housing with a foot each side.