Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default Did we somehow ruin the next generation?

"T i m" wrote in message
On 02 Mar 2020 22:49:22 +0000 (GMT), Theo
wrote:

T i m wrote:
63 here with a 39 year old daughter so not sure if we are in the same
category.

I'm roughly the same age as your daughter, and a lot of that chimes.

;-)

I've been doing DIY (FSVO) since I was six.

Both daughter and I were naturally 'creative' when we were young. Give
either of us some Selotape, card or paper and we would make all sorts
of things. Same with Lego / Meccano etc.

Difference is I had nobody to teach me, so I've mostly learnt it myself.

That was mostly the same for me, for the things *I* wanted / needed to
do, but my Dad did at least (indirectly) show me how to use tools, by
watching him whilst helping him (no choice). ;-)

But whist the general tools thing was of use, he had little idea re
mechanics or electrics so I would do that round the family home.

Where did I learn that. I don't know,

I do, by trial and error and being able to try different
things and see what worked and what didn't.

One of the neighbours kids presented me with a box
full of bits from a bicycle epicyclical gearbox. I had only
a vague idea of how they worked but was able to
assemble it again just by using the wear marks.

but with no Internet in those days it can only have
been from an inquisitive mind and the opportunity
(house with back garden, tools, workshop, tolerant
parents) to experiment.

And a real interest in how things work.

I was 'left / trusted' to take things to
pieces as long as they were still working
properly (or better) when I was finished. ;-)

When I took the engine out of a Fiat 850 at 15 years old
it was just more of the basic things I had learned from
cycles and other machines and the good old HBOL. ;-)

Being in Generation Rent rather hampers the DIY tendencies, but for a long
time I had an absentee landlord who never spent a penny and didn't care,
so
I did it myself. The downside was it was never worth investing to do
things
properly given you could always be kicked out at 2 months notice, or
indeed
fined for changing things. So the DIY was usually minimalist stuff to
keep things going.

Daughter is in a similar position to you re what she can (or wants,
under the circumstances) in her rented flat. The landlords have
visited and are pleased with all she has done so far (and pay promptly
for any parts we use if we have to repair stuff (like I fitted a new
button panel to the washing machine the other day, because I could and
it was quicker and easier than getting him or the agent down).

We save him some money by fixing some stuff, he is more flexible /
generous re what we can do. ;-)

Having moved from 30-year-old to 10-year-old cars I don't do as much DIY
as
I used to on that front, however it's always difficult when you're working
on the street and don't have anyone to help/tell you you've done it
right/make sure you aren't going to die.

I know what you mean Theo. ;-)

However, in many cases the use of a camera, referring to the manual
and being very diligent re compatibility of replacement parts (and the
parts themselves often only going on one way round etc) mean you are
generally ok.

So mostly avoid stuff on the
underneath (plus crawling around in the cold is no fun).

That was partly why we sold the (her) Mini and built the kitcar. ;-)

Previously I did a
carb rebuild and a full underseal, so I can be a slug if I want to be

I take my hat off to you re the undersealing. ;-)

I have some leaked Toyota dealer software to plug into the OBDII, which
makes fixing stuff on modern cars a lot easier.

Whilst I find that sort of diagnostics quite interesting (as I'm into
electronics and 'computers' as well etc), it's not quite the same as
getting your hands dirty, especially a successful engine related job.

Recently bought a house so lots to do in prospect, although not a lot of
free time to do it in

I only bought our house 40 years ago so haven't finished it yet. ;-)

Cheers, T i m