Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim GM4DHJ ... Jim GM4DHJ ... is offline

Default Surprising rechargeable cell life

On 01/03/2020 08:53, Jeff Layman wrote:
Clearing out the shed I came across my old 4.8v Challenge Extreme
powered screwdriver, which I hadn't seen for at least 6 years (I use my
Hitachi drill/driver instead). When I opened the box and took out the
screwdriver I accidently touched the trigger and was amazed when the
motor turned. I though it might be the dregs of a charge in the cells,
but I tried again and it turned. In fact, it was not possible to stop it
turning by gripping the shaft.

I have no idea what brand NiMH cells were used in this cheap screwdriver
(Argos), but for the four of them to retain a good charge for 6 years
seems very unusual to me.

I have found nimh batteries can be left in old and new equipment for
years as long as there is no soft switching of the off on....no ni cads
were different ....