Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Did we somehow ruin the next generation?

On Monday, 2 March 2020 17:31:52 UTC, simon mitchelmore wrote:
You are not alone and I, too, am worried for our future.

Its wider than the Millennials (although they are worst); in our road I appear to be the only one who lifts a car bonnet and definitely the only one who uses car ramps. I get looks of disbelief as dog walkers walk past and I'm under my car.

A friend, a GasSafe engineer, summed it up nicely saying in the past he'd explain what he'd done to fix their central heating but he doesn't bother now because many don't know what a boiler is, or want to know, frightening really.

Why would they want to know, they can't and shouldn't fix the problem themselevs.

I'm curuious as to what goes wrong with our PCs in the lab, but we have a contract with dell to keep them running and we have I.T services an outside
companyb that we pay to look after setting them up and keeping the software running. I just report a problem to them.
On average about 4 PCs a week are down.
One of them had a logic board problem to the engineer sent a replacement board that was faulty, then they replaced the whole PC which took them 3 weeks to sort out and this is on our 24 hour contract.

Teachers should replace 'Meja' studies with Meccano and how to bodge electrical appliances with insulating tape.

That's our job, but more an more students 3D print a box for their project that
could be bought for a fraction of the time and cost, but they don't know how to drill square or even round holes, but they can create it on a screen.
Mabe that's why we've just bought 2 new 3D printers for them.

Other than that they just want things ordered from amazon.

I have one final year student that wants two 555 timers, so has
ordered a tube of 40 at 87p each via RS.

He's been told that everything in the lab carosoul is free, where I have about 50 555s in a draw but I guess he's too lazy or stupid to bother.