Posted to uk.d-i-y
Theo[_3_] Theo[_3_] is offline

Default Did we somehow ruin the next generation?

T i m wrote:
63 here with a 39 year old daughter so not sure if we are in the same
category.

I'm roughly the same age as your daughter, and a lot of that chimes.
I've been doing DIY (FSVO) since I was six.
Difference is I had nobody to teach me, so I've mostly learnt it myself.

Being in Generation Rent rather hampers the DIY tendencies, but for a long
time I had an absentee landlord who never spent a penny and didn't care, so
I did it myself. The downside was it was never worth investing to do things
properly given you could always be kicked out at 2 months notice, or indeed
fined for changing things. So the DIY was usually minimalist stuff to
keep things going.

Having moved from 30-year-old to 10-year-old cars I don't do as much DIY as
I used to on that front, however it's always difficult when you're working
on the street and don't have anyone to help/tell you you've done it
right/make sure you aren't going to die. So mostly avoid stuff on the
underneath (plus crawling around in the cold is no fun). Previously I did a
carb rebuild and a full underseal, so I can be a slug if I want to be
I have some leaked Toyota dealer software to plug into the OBDII, which
makes fixing stuff on modern cars a lot easier.

Recently bought a house so lots to do in prospect, although not a lot of
free time to do it in

Theo