Posted to uk.d-i-y
Brian Gaff \(Sofa 2\) Brian Gaff \(Sofa 2\) is offline

Default Did we somehow ruin the next generation?

Yes me too, I'd have thought in this age the answer was as close as youtube,
indeed there is a story in the news today about a person who built his own
house from videos on that site

One thing I did find however is that all those who went to University are
considerably worse at thinking problems out logically than we were. I never
went, it was not the thing in my day. However I did not turn out bad, I can
and did hang doors clean vacuums, build cabinets, make electronic circuits
an write computer code. It is not rocket science, what it is is thinking
things through and checking things, its making mistakes and learning from
those mistakes, not simply throwing stuff in the bin if it won't work. I
mean surely it soul d be obvious that water and electricity do not sit well
together?
Likewise leaks have a source, and normally there is a way to find it.
To me its common sense, but even in the 80s when I was working they sent me
the graduates to learn a bit of logical thinking and what we call common
sense.
For example a guy with a degree in electronics could not logically divide
the circuit up and see what each bit did and deduce where to start looking
for the problem and not to just change bits till it worked when half the
stuff was ok in the first place.
I'm also pretty sure that the current academic loads on nurse training is
putting of those who traditionally wanted to be a nurse, its too academic
and not enough hands on.
Sorry for the rant.
Brian
--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"R D S" wrote in message
I'm provoked to post this after the thread about whether people DIY or not
anymore.
I've been wondering for some time, in particular WRT my own kids (both men
now in their 20s) if their lives have been so much easier that necessity
has *not* bred any variant of invention.
They are so needy and incapable that I had occasionally wondered if they
were on some spectrum or other but I speak to other people my age and it
sounds par.

I've a tome of anecdotes but i'll stick to a couple.

We had* 2 bagless vacuum cleaners at work (me, son, apprentice), one
upstairs, one down. I noted one day that both were downstairs, so I asked
why. The response was that one of them wasn't sucking.
Later I noted that neither had been used in a while, the place was untidy,
apparently now neither were sucking.
So I went off one one about how i'm not the ####ing caretaker, vacuum
cleaners aren't ####ing rocket science and demanded they check for
blockages and if necessary clean the filters.
Neither knew that vacuum cleaners had filters (why would they) so on my
instruction the apprentice washed the filters and put them back in.
He put them in WET and proceeded to use it.

*One has since died, hardly surprising.

Recently, a machine at work is leaking polish on the floor.
I'm ignoring the problem to see what the son will do about it.
Then I prompt.. "why is it leaking", "where is it leaking from" etc. and
finally have to intervene when the best he can come up is to mop up the
leakage from the floor with a face like an injured puppy.
(It's about 30 quid per gallon)

This isn't merely a rant, i'm genuinely fearful for the future.