Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andrew[_22_] Andrew[_22_] is offline

Default fan belt

On 27/02/2020 19:06, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
On 27/02/2020 18:42, Andrew wrote:
On 26/02/2020 19:32, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
On 26/02/2020 18:32, Andrew wrote:
In article ,
Â*Â*Â* Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
Just realised the serpentine belt on one of my cars has covered
110.000
miles... is this normal?...it looks OK....think the reason I never
changed it was that the engine mount would have to be
removed...stupid
design ....

Most sensible people would change the serpentine belt according to the
maker's service schedule. But never mind - you can always just buy
another
car.

Latest Peugeot engine has a cambelt that runs in oil.

Seems to be a commonm practice now :-

https://blog.motoringassist.com/car-...-bio-overview/

rubber and oil don't mix .....

Synthetic 'rubber' is impervious to oil. Even more important to use
the correct oil though.

wouldn't risk it I use cheap oil at £10 for 5L ain't paying £30 for the
pleasure....

Cheap oil is not synthetic. Modern cars run at much higher temperatures
than mineral oil can cope with. On old cast-iron lumps it is the wear
on things like camshaft lobes that might be more of a problem if you
use the wrong oil.