Posted to uk.d-i-y
Brian Gaff \(Sofa 2\) Brian Gaff \(Sofa 2\) is offline

Default Surprising rechargeable cell life

Not sure, Nicads don't last if stored either. However, the non self
discharging cells have been around for a good decade now as far as I know.
What annoys me is the naff batteries they put into shavers these days. If
you get 18 months out of one then you are doing well, and in the old ones
you could remove the old ones as a pack, and get a new set, most nowadays
seem to suggest you break the shaver to remove the batteries to recycle then
buy a new Shaver, you listening Remington?
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
On 01/03/2020 08:53, Jeff Layman wrote:
Clearing out the shed I came across my old 4.8v Challenge Extreme powered
screwdriver, which I hadn't seen for at least 6 years (I use my Hitachi
drill/driver instead). When I opened the box and took out the screwdriver
I accidently touched the trigger and was amazed when the motor turned. I
though it might be the dregs of a charge in the cells, but I tried again
and it turned. In fact, it was not possible to stop it turning by
gripping the shaft.

I have no idea what brand NiMH cells were used in this cheap screwdriver
(Argos), but for the four of them to retain a good charge for 6 years
seems very unusual to me.

Probably Nicd then

--
"A point of view can be a dangerous luxury when substituted for insight
and understanding".

Marshall McLuhan