Posted to alt.home.repair
Clare Snyder Clare Snyder is offline

Default rotted sill plate, maybe a dumb idea but...

On Sat, 29 Feb 2020 06:48:56 -0800 (PST), TimR
wrote:

When the weather warms enough I'll get to replacing some rotted sill plate in my shed.

But I had a thought, which is maybe a dumb idea, I dunno.

I have to cut each stud above the plate, add a section, and connect to the new sill plate. The floor is concrete slab. The old sill plate is wood but metal wrapped, kind of weird. I haven't seen that before. It didn't seem to protect it any though.

What if instead of laying the new sill plate directly on the floor, I placed one row of concrete block? Block is cheap, it would elevate the plate a bit above the moisture. It will take a bit longer, but if it saves me doing this job again at my age it would be worth it.

Sounds like asolid idea to me. But put a moisture barrier between the
block course and the wood sill. Something like Blue-skin, or ice and
water barrier, or even just a good roofing paper. Keep the wood from
contacting the concrete.