Posted to alt.home.repair

Default rotted sill plate, maybe a dumb idea but...

On 2/29/20 8:48 AM, TimR wrote:
When the weather warms enough I'll get to replacing some rotted sill plate in my shed.

But I had a thought, which is maybe a dumb idea, I dunno.

I have to cut each stud above the plate, add a section, and connect to the new sill plate. The floor is concrete slab. The old sill plate is wood but metal wrapped, kind of weird. I haven't seen that before. It didn't seem to protect it any though.

What if instead of laying the new sill plate directly on the floor, I placed one row of concrete block? Block is cheap, it would elevate the plate a bit above the moisture. It will take a bit longer, but if it saves me doing this job again at my age it would be worth it.

The "at my age" part caught my attention. Keeping the sill easy
to cross should be a consideration. Maybe raise it by a brick if
it's really necessary to do that.