Posted to rec.woodworking
Sonny Sonny is offline

Default Follow up for Inquiring minds

On Saturday, February 29, 2020 at 2:08:21 PM UTC-6, Hawk wrote:
In case anyone is interesting of closer photos and to see what I've been
indicating. It's actually a desk. It looks thick but it's hollow with a
bottom. I sawed the top part of the broken leg as I stated. You'll see
in photos the parts and how well they join together with barely a notice
of the break and I didn't even push them together hard nor glue it yet.

Thanks again for all te suggestions.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/182239...posted-public/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/182239...posted-public/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/182239...posted-public/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/182239...posted-public/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/182239...posted-public/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/182239...posted-public/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/182239...posted-public/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/182239...posted-public/

So the leg was not a separate unit from the Lion's head aspect. That's common. Looks like the leg was turned from ~3" stock, then fluted and the remainder carved.

How will you reattach the leg? Rather than a wedged dowel or tenon, you might consider using a (at least) 3/8" lag bolt, with 6" to 8" of thread. Cut the head off the bolt, file/grind the cut end into a point and use it as you would a hanger bolt. About 2" or 3" of thread into the lion's head and 2" pass the break line of the leg might do it, plus use glue or epoxy.

Repair the break, first (allow the glue/epoxy to dry), before drilling for the lag screw, if you opt for this lag bolt repair.

You could really crank on the leg, via the lag bolt, to tighten it really good against the lion's head.

Sonny