Posted to alt.home.repair
Frank[_28_] Frank[_28_] is offline

Default rotted sill plate, maybe a dumb idea but...

On 2/29/2020 10:24 AM, Ralph Mowery wrote:
In article ,
says...

You are going to use pressure treated on the new plate right? Should
last 25 to 50 years so think about how long you are going to last and
decide from there.

+1

Was the old one pressure treated? How long did it last? In my experience
pressure treated easily lasts 20+ years. I have 6x6s I put in for edging
beds 25 years ago that are still good. The ones that were already here
are 35, those are failing. And that's full exposure, partly in the ground, etc.
Another question is if something is contributing to it, eg roof water runs
off and drops right at the perimeter, splashes up, gets inside, etc?

There are various grades of the pressure treated lumber. Just get a
good grade.

It could be the metal plate was for termite protection. I don't know
much about that, but have seen some metal used under some houses and was
told it was to help with the termite problem.

That's right. I've got old stuff in the ground for over 40 years but
that contained now banned arsenic. I think now they have above ground
and below ground grades probably bases on copper additives.