Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default fan belt

In article ,
Tim Lamb wrote:
That would have traded out at about £2 with a new cambelt and dealers
guarantee.

Dealer charge for a cam belt/water pump job on a Ford Fiesta is around
£800! Anyone care to buy a low mileage 10 year old Zetec?

Odd, isn't it? When they first arrived they were little different to a fan
belt to change.

Think there's a Ferrari which gets the award, though. Engine out job for a
routine cam belt change.

I was going to change my cam-belt soon (Zafira B 1.8) and was finding
kits (including water pump) for around £99. I spoke to a local,
independent garage that I trust (I don't trust many of them) and they,
because they can buy kits much cheaper, quoted only £150-odd to supply
and fit! For the sake of £50-odd, I can't be bothered doing the work
myself. I can make that up by spending two extra hours at work.

SteveW